FeeJee Mermaid in 5 Days, Prop Build Project Day 2
As expected, I woke up to discover that the air dry clay was still slightly damp however, it will be fully dry by the afternoon. For the morning task I thought I would make the fins and spines so that they are ready to fit at a later stage.
I decided to scrap the Milliput spines I made yesterday as although dry they were still pliable and bendy. I decide to use polymer clay and then paint them with bone coloured acrylic spray (Army Painter Primer)
The fish fins are made from baking parchment and are very realistic once complete.
Just cut a large piece of baking parchment, lay it flat on a table and spray both sides with Rust Dirty Down Special Effects Dye. The first pass should be uniform and even.
Then create spots on the paper by spraying a few millimeters away from the surface of the paper, the aim is to create spots of dye saturation in a random pattern.
Then let the paper dry.
Finally, cut the fin shape and fold repeatedly to create a fan. Then fray the fin tips with scissors. I’ve decided to go to town on the fins and create a head crest and fin ears but you'll see these when they are fitted later.
Once the fins are fitted to the mermaid they will be given a coat of gloss canvas varnish. This will make them translucent and enhance the colour making them even more realistic.
After lunch the weather warmed up so the air dry clay finally dried! You can see, as a result of rapid drying large cracks appeared -
To hold the clay together and fill the gaps I gave it a couple of good coats of liquid latex to act as a skin.
I’ve also decided to go with the classic FeeJee Mermaid pose and set the limbs into position with tape, a hot glue gun and epoxy putty.
With all the major foundation work complete we can start to bulk out the body, apply the skin and textures.